1) What are the five F’s of field sanitation?
A: Fingers, feces, food, flies, fluids
2) What are two ways to purify water?
A: Iodine tablets or boiling
3) What are the four types of waste?
A: Human, liquid, garbage, rubbish
4) What is potable water?
A: Water that is safe to drink
5) What is palatable water?
A: Water that tastes good, but may be unsafe to drink
6) What three rules cover water discipline in the field?
A: 1. drink only from approved sources 2. conserve water 3. do not contaminate water sources
7) What are the three most common poison plants?
A: Ivy, oak, sumac
8) What diseases are carried by flies?
A: typhoid, dysentery, cholera
9) What diseases are carried by mosquitoes?
A: malaria, dengue, yellow fever, encephalitis, filariasis
10) What are some methods of disposing human waste?
A: straddle trench, mound latrine, burn out latrine, deep pit, bore hole latrines, pail latrines, urine soak pits
11) What are the measurements of a straddle trench?
A: 1 ft wide, 4 ft long, 2 1/2 feet deep